Phase 1: National audit of suspension and exclusion policies and practices
- Identification and analysis of the policies guiding exclusionary practices in different jurisdictions.
- Identification of the types and forms of exclusionary practices used in different jurisdictions.
Phase 2: National investigation of the incidence of exclusionary practices
- Comparative analysis of the actual number of suspensions and exclusions recorded in different jurisdictions (i.e., their incidence) over a 5-year period.
- The reasons cited for suspensions and exclusions.
- Breakdown of which groups of students are suspended and excluded by age, gender, ethnicity, location, and socio-economic status.
Phase 3: Examination of the impact of exclusionary practices on students’ health and welfare
- A retrospective qualitative investigation of the life trajectories of 40 students who have been suspended or excluded from schools. This investigation will provide a greater understanding of the impact that exclusionary practices have on individuals in Australia. It will provide nuanced data to inform policies and practices.